Friday 1 April 2011

My holiday in Belfast, Northern Ireland with the Gibsons 21-29th March 2011

Hi everyone :)!

Last week I had a wonderful holiday in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It was fantastic to see my friends there and see Belfast too.

Me and Hannah



I found out a very interesting fact while I was there. Did you know that the Titanic was built in Belfast? Well I didn't. I've always known about the Titanic and researched it because the Titanic started sinking on the 14th of April which is my birthday now. It didn't actually completely go under on the 14th though, it sank on the 15th of April but it hit the iceberg on the 14th. I am sure most of you know about the Titanic from the popular movie. What was very nice was the Gibsons took me to the Titanic quarter (the area the Titanic was built) and I got to see where the Titanic was made and placed and everything. That was super exciting for me because the story of the Titanic is one of the big historic events I know about. So it was nice to walk right where the Titanic stood. It was started in 1909 and completed in 1911 and it hit the iceberg on APRIL 14th 1912 at 11:39p.m. It had an insufficient number of lifeboats on board the ship. 706 survived out of a total of 2,223 passengers and crew aboard, so the total loss of life was 1517 persons. It was built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast.





We walked around the area the Titanic was built and this is a picture of me and where the Titanic was kept and more pictures of it (not sure what it is called)and it's the size of the Titanic so you can get an idea of how big it was.





I had a very nice relaxing break. It was brilliant catching up with the Gibsons and spending time with them. And watching their dog go crazy everytime the post man drove up to the house to deliver the mail :). It was nice going to for a walk in the neighbourhood with Hannah and lying on the road :)!



I got taken out to have a traditional Irish Breakfast on the Saturday I was there. It tasted as good as it looks ;).



And I later I explored the City of Belfast, including the dome, city hall, victoria street and others. I also bought some Irish souvenirs.

On Sunday we went to the Titanic quarter as I have mentioned above. We also went to Cave Hill and saw the whole view of Belfast from high up and saw McArt's fort. There was also a fire as they were burning grass and it got a bit out of control and a fire engine arrived and we watched the firemen men putting it out.









I almost forgot, Belfast has a huge waterfall, here is Raymond standing next to it.

Belfast's huge waterfall.



All in all it was a fantastic holiday with wonderful people and the beautiful city of Belfast.

And now I am back to full time work. I've been very busy since I got back. I arrived back in England on Tuesday and I started work on Wednesday. Tonight was our busiest night we have had in a long time and the hotel was almost full.

I will also be making a photo collage of my Belfast trip ;)! Thank God for that awesome adventure and awesome company :-)!

Love to you all, and always love hearing your news too,
Nix

No comments:

Post a Comment