Monday 25 April 2011

Friends visit to Sidmouth, a friends farewell and FUN in April continued...

Hello all you awesome people!

I thought it was about time for another update before I get too far behind.

So last time I left it at my 22nd Birthday and now we move on to Saturday the 16th of April. In the afternoon 4 of my friends from Exeter came to visit me in Sidmouth :)! It was lovely to have them here, I gave them a tour of where I am working and we went out for lunch and explored the shops in Sidmouth and went for a walk on the sea front. And of course as always here are a couple pictures.





And in the evening on the 16th of April my awesome friend Veronika had her farewell party at the hotel because she was leaving to Denmark. We had a party after everyone had finished work for the evening in the staff room. Veronika even curled my hair for it. She has been gone about a week now, I really miss her. And yes of course there are pictures of the party, here are a few. The party ROCKED :)!







There are lots more photos from my trip to Belfast, more photos of Sidmouth, more photos of my birthday, more photos of the farewell party, I will try get around to making some collages when I have time.

I went to bed at about 2am after the party and then got up at about 6:30am for work the next morning haha but I actually felt ok.

On the 18th of April Veronika, Dominik and I took a walk around Sidmouth and yes I took photo's.

We saw a starfish :)! I had seen a few here but this is my first photo of one.







Then on the 19th of April which was Veronika's last night just about we all had a braii (barbeque)on the beach in the evening after work. And here is a pic from it ;)!



On Wednesday morning, April 20th I worked until lunch time and then I was off until Friday. And on Thursday the 21th of April I went for my first run in Sidmouth along the sea front and up and down some roads. And amazingly my ankle didn't feel strange or hurt. In June last year I fell running and badly damaged my ankle and I didn't run until once in January this year but my ankle still hurt and now it seems that all the pain has gone! So I am soooo happy that I can get back in to my running again :-)! I ran on Thursday and Friday and Saturday, only short runs but I felt so good after them. Thursday the 21st of April was beautiful because I was sitting on the beach at sunset. I had spent the morning exploring the shops in Sidmouth and I bought a computer cable which enables me to have two display screens now, one on my monitor and one on my laptop, so now for example I can be on facebook on my monitor and skype on my laptop, in other words I can do two things at once and it's really awesome for a computer geek like me :)!

On Friday some of my friends on the staff and I went and tanned on the beach. And then a couple of the guys and I jumped in the sea! Yip in the freezing cold English sea! I didn't find it as cold if you keep moving. Then I climbed up some of the rocks by the sea with one of them and we were going to go right to the end but I chickened out because I didn't like climbing high up on the rocks and looking at the dark big gaps in between them.

Oh yes and on Friday after my run I went swimming in the sea and I did the same on Saturday too. On Saturday I was the ONLY one swimming lol but hey I actually don't find it too cold but I was really hot after running on both days. On Saturday my friend and I lay on the beach in the sun for hours. My one friend said yesterday I am going to get sick if I keep running and get really hot and then jump in freezing cold water and guess what, surprise surprise I now have a cold lol.

Sunday the 24th of April - Easter Sunday (Pascha in Greek)! On Easter Sunday I was working in the morning. Then in the afternoon I caught the bus in to Exeter (my first time in Exeter in a month) and went to one of my friends houses in Exeter for an Easter Sunday barbeque. I met a lot of new people and learn a lot about the Indian culture. Then I caught the bus back to Sidmouth because I was waitressing in the evening but the bus times had changed because it was a public holiday and I got back to my room about 15 mins before my evening shift so I literally changed quickly and ran to work lol! I had a wonderful Easter Sunday, I hope you all did too!

I am Greek Orthodox and Easter is huge in our culture. In Zimbabwe we used to go to church at about 11pm on Saturday right through until 1am on Easter Sunday and when midnight struck we would sing the Christos Anesti hymn over and over and the church bells would ring and we'd all be outside holding candles and singing, it was amazing. In fact the whole of Easter week is a very memorable occasion in the Greek Churches and we have church every night and some mornings the week leading up to Easter. After the church service on Saturday night my family and I would go to my aunts at about 1 or 2am where she'd have over 100 people from church there and we'd have a big easter feast because most people fast during Easter (they especially fast meat) and we'd only end up going home around 4am or 5am. Then we'd get up for a lunch on Easter Sunday which was usually at the Greek Club with just about all the Greeks in Zim. I had some truly magical Easters in Zimbabwe. In fact every Easter I have had in Zim or the Uk has been awesome :)!

This is what the Greeks sing over and over in Church on Easter Sunday and also before our meals for 40 days after Easter. It means "Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
bestowing life!"



Today, woah I made it all the way to today finally, I think this is my longest blog post! I went on the beach this afternoon and sat in the sun with friends and I even bought myself an icecream :! It was departure day today so that's a super busy day for me in housekeeping. Then I had waitressing in the evening and now I've just had my tea and I've been updating my blog :)))!

Remember before I said I had some incredibly awesome news to tell you. Well something may be happening with it hopefully tomorrow :))) which means it's getting more and more exciting by the minute. If you don't know already know I will update it on my facebook and blog soon! I have told quite a few people because I have been too excited to keep it in haha!

Stay tuned for more adventures in the life of Nicola Hill!

Love to you all wherever you may be and whatever you are doing,
Always as much as I love writing news I also love hearing your news too.
Until I write again haha,
Nicola

No comments:

Post a Comment